Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Beginning of a Journey

My last revealed my intentions to take a journey of self-discovery. I promised the internet world that I would share some of what I learned. It's been almost a month since that post, and I've learned a few things about myself and have remembered a few others. So here's the first entry. I'll start with the easy: television.

I like the “figure it out” kind of television shows. Of course, there's usually some sort of drama throughout these shows too, which of course I get caught up in. I'll watch almost any of the crime dramas, but Criminal Minds and NCIS are my favorites – and I don't really like Law and Order, except SVU. I also love the medical dramas. I'm addicted to Grey's Anatomy, but I only watch Private Practice when there are “crossover events.” Thanks to tivo, I'm a fan of Mercy - I would have never had a chance to actually watch last season without tivo. Although I don't record it, I watch House any time I catch it on.

The “figure it out” theme fits the paranormal dramas of Ghost Whisperer and Medium as well. I was recently introduced to a few paranormal reality shows – for lack of a better description. I liked Ghost Hunters (Scyfy) from the first time I saw it. These former plumbers spend their nights investigating reportedly haunted buildings. In addition to seeking paranormal activity, they use scientific observation and sometimes plain ole common sense to debunk reports of such activity. Ghost Lab is a similar show on the Discovery Channel, which follows brothers whose team works out of a mobile lab. I was also introduced to Ghost Adventures on the Travel Channel. The concept of this show is similar to the other two, but the primary investigator is very dramatic and, in my opinion, annoying. Now that I think about it, there is an element of figure it out in these shows as well.

I'm also a fan of a good comedy. It's nice to sometimes sit in front of the television and just be entertained, not having to think. CBS Monday nights are some of my favorites – Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, and Accidentally on Purpose. The New Adventures of Old Christine on Wednesday night is pretty good too. A few weeks ago, I discovered that I actually get more channels through my cable than I thought, including Comedy Central. I've liked to watch stand-up comedy for as long as I can remember, so I was excited about that discovery. There was a time when I wouldn't watch various television shows because of “offensive” language or topics – because others told me there was “offensive” language or topics. (There's another discovery there, but that's another post.) I have been surprised to discover that I really like South Park. It's funny. I've also been known to watch Sit Down Shut Up on Fox late on Saturday nights.

So television is easy and maybe a bit superficial, but it's a start at self-discovery. More findings to come soon.

No comments: