I often hear people comment that you should never talk about politics or religion. My great-grandmother was a circuit clerk and because of her job, she often suggested that her children and grandchildren refrain from these topics. Nevertheless, there were often conversations at Sunday lunch about one of the two – which usually led to my Grandmother Jones’ famous snapping of her fingers while exclaiming, “boys, boys, boys!” when the conversation got a little too loud or the language a little too colorful. Topics surrounding religion and politics tend to be things people are passionate about and something about that makes you just want to talk about it. I usually try to stay clear of such topics, but occasionally, things happen that either cause me to think or bring out passion in me and I just want to share. Such an event occurred this past week.
I usually glance over news articles, or listen to highlights as I am getting ready for work in the mornings – not really paying much attention to the details. Recently, however, the ongoing saga of a Muslim mosque in lower Manhattan has caught my attention.
The issue – as I know it, and I’m sure, as usual, I don’t have all the facts – is a Muslim group that has been located in lower Manhattan for years, wants to build a mosque on private property near Ground Zero. Since this is the location where members of an Islamic terrorist group (Al Qaeda) destroyed America’s sense of security when they flew airplanes into the World Trade Centers, many believe this to be an inappropriate place for a Muslim mosque.
While this topic was already being discussed in the media, it seemed to have exploded last week when the president decided to make a comment on it. President Obama stated, “As a citizen, and as president, I believe that Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as everyone else in this country. That includes the right to build a place of worship and a community center on private property in lower Manhattan, in accordance with local laws and ordinances, This is America, and our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakable."
Many people criticized the president for supporting this venture. Others pressured him to be more specific about his support. While we all know that they have a right to build there, many still want the president to give his opinion: should they or shouldn’t they. President Obama clarified that he had not and would not state whether he believed they should build in the spot, just they had the right to do so.
So….Whose first amendment right is Obama protecting? Muslims? Well, yes…and but not just theirs.
On this topic, I agree with President Obama. If I’m correct, most of his criticism is coming from right-winged, conservative Republicans – those who often pride themselves on being “evangelical Christians.” I don’t fully understand why this group is being so critical on this issue. Perhaps, I just have a different method of thinking – as I will admit, my thought process has not been mentioned in any of the discussions I have heard on the topic.
It is my understanding that one of the founding principles on which our country was built is the freedom of religion. I believe people have the right to practice whatever religion they choose, wherever and however they choose, as long as it does not infringe upon my rights (I could go on here, but that’s another topic). America is NOT a “Christian Nation” – I don’t believe it was intended to be. (Yet another topic, and yes, I hear some of you yelling that I am wrong!) I understand America to be a place where I have the freedom to be a Christian, but others have the freedom to be Jewish, Muslim, Wiccan, or any other religion - including “non-religious” or atheist. Yes, I can share my religion, and I can attempt to convince others that my God is the only real God, but they have the freedom to not believe me and worship in any way they choose.
Back to the mosque – what’s wrong with the president or anyone else for that matter, telling this group of Muslims they can not – or at least should not – build where they want to build? In my opinion, it’s about fairness. It’s about the freedom of religion. It’s about the future of the relationship between the church and the state. If the government tells this group of Muslims where they can/should build a place to worship, what’s to keep them from later excluding a Christian church from building in any location. The government was not meant to dictate religion. Allowing the president, or any other governing body to tell this group they can not – or even should not – build near the Ground Zero, would be giving the government authority to dictate where any place of worship is built from here on out. And if we give them authority to dictate where, what’s to keep it from becoming when/how/WHO we are to worship? I think, as Christians, we should be encouraged that our leader states we have the right to worship WHO, when, where, how we want. We should not encourage him to tell this Muslim group that they should not build near Ground Zero. Instead, we should simply remember he is protecting OUR RIGHT to worship as we please.
Would love to hear the thoughts of my readers….if you dare ;-)
I could not make this up.
13 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment