It was a common occurrence when she was little. We'd be riding in the car, my mother and I in the front seat and 3 year old Brianna in her car-seat in the back. Mom and I having a conversation in the front seat when:
Brianna: Mimi
Mom and I continue to talk.
Brianna: Mimi
Mom and I continue.
Brianna (a little louder): Mimi
Mom: What, Brianna?
Brianna: I love you
Mom: I love you too, Brianna.
Mom and I would continue our conversation, and about two minutes later:
Brianna: Aunt Mandi
Mom and I continue to talk.
Brianna: Aunt Mandi
Mom and I continue.
Brianna (a little louder): Aunt Mandi
Me: What, Brianna?
Brianna: I love you
Me: I love you too, Brianna.
Somewhere along the way, this scenario stopped, but every time I see her, she still runs up to me with a hug (and sometimes a kiss) saying “Aunt Mandi! I love you.”
When we were children, we said what we felt, with no inhibition. At least in my case, there was no shortage of “I love you”s in my life. There was no social code saying it was not appropriate. Sometime around puberty, things seemed to change. It was no longer cool to tell your dad you love him or kiss your mom goodnight. Those three words became a phrase reserved for that “special someone” in your life – and that person didn't always stay after those words were said. Many times they were used inappropriately and became the catalyst for disaster.
So we grow up thinking the only love that exists is that between two people who are romantically involved. We believe the only people appropriate to hear those words from us are those with whom we are in a romantic relationship – and our children because they need to be taught love. And many of us who are not in married, engaged, or dating relationships may go days, weeks, months, even years without hearing the words, “I love you.” Some people go so long without hearing those words that they begin to think something is wrong with them – that they are unlovable or that they don't deserve to be loved.
I'm lucky enough that I still have plenty of people in my life who will say the words. My parents and grandparents still tell me they love me each time I see them. My nieces tell me they love me frequently, and I tell them the same. I'm also lucky enough to have some awesome friends who share “I love you”s with me.
There are others in my life that I love deeply. It's not romantic love, but true love. A love which I cannot explain except to say, I love because Christ first loved me. And sometimes this love fills up so much inside of me that I feel I have to let it out regardless of societal norms. Yet, there are many whom I haven't told how I feel. I'm not sure why I haven't. Maybe I'm afraid they won't understand or will think I'm a freak because I say it. But maybe, just maybe, they need to know that they are loved, that they deserve to be loved.
So I want to take a chance and say the words that may be uncool. If I haven't told you lately, I love you. And if I tell you again soon, please don't think I'm a freak, just know that I'm full of love and I need you to know not only that I love you, but that you deserve to be loved!
I could not make this up.
13 years ago
1 comment:
I REALLY enjoyed your post. I haven't known you much, but I LOVE YOU!
Janet
Post a Comment