One of the best parts of my job is assisting with therapeutic horseback riding. While I know a little about horses, I don't even begin to consider myself a "horse person." My job during therapeutic riding usually deals with keeping clients in one place and encouraging communication.
This morning, as we were preparing for clients to arrive at the arena, one horse was being particularly obstinant. Our volunteer was working him in the round pin (again I don't pretend to be a horse person and have no clue exactly what she was doing except making him run around in circles.) Periodically, the horse would decide he was going to stop or turn around and go the other way. When he did this, the volunteer would make a particular movement and he would turn back the way she wanted him to be going. Brian, the social worker who helps, was sitting at the table watching. He commented "He thinks he's going to do it his way and she is not going to let him." Life lesson?
Tonight, I attended a Beth Moore Bible Study (Jesus the One and Only) session. Tonight's lesson was on Luke 22:39-46. Jesus time of prayer in the Garden was a similar battle of will. The will of His flesh wanted to turn and run the other way. He begged for God to "let this cup to pass over me," but the Son of God said "No, whatever you require of me, I will do."
Here's the cool part of the whole story. Just before we had the conversation about the strong willed horse, Brian asked if I had done anything else with that "internet thing." (That would be applying to Seminary.) He also said he had two papers to write for admission to graduate school, but he seemed to be procrastinating--possibly a subliminal message that he didn't want to do it. My quick response was "Maybe it's not about what Brian wants." Yeah, I turned it all around on Brian, in reality, I was probably saying "Maybe it's not about what Mandi wants."
Teach me to follow. Not my will but Yours.
I could not make this up.
13 years ago
1 comment:
I was looking for blogs in Pontotoc and found yours.I just want you to know I enjoy reading your post. "Praise Jesus our Lord"
Post a Comment